The year 2020 has been a peculiar year for everyone. With so many sad stories going around, it almost seems there is not a lot to be thankful for. At least I thought so, until I stumbled on a quote while going down the YouTube rabbit hole. And the quote is “When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around.” I thought to myself that this was a profound statement, and it triggered me to think of all the good things that are happening around us. So I decided to make a list of 5 positive things that happened this year.
1. A 103-year-old grandma beat COVID-19 and celebrated with a Bud Light. There are no other words to describe this other than awesome.
2. Pollution levels dropped significantly - When the entire world was quarantined because of a pandemic, the planet received a breath of fresh air. Pollution levels dropped significantly all over the world as transports and businesses were stopped.
3. Another person was cured of HIV - The first person to be cured was known as the ‘Berlin patient’ and the second one is known as the ‘London patient’, both received a bone marrow transplant from a rare genetic mutation that confers resistance to the disease.
4. Major companies such as 3M and Apple pooled resources or shifted production to make millions of masks to help keep people safe. Ford, GM, Tesla and other automakers were able to make ventilators and other medical devices to help with the pandemic.
5. The world came together to fight the devastating Australian wildfires. Despite January's wildfires destroying 18 million acres of Australian wilderness and causing around $3.5 billion in damages, the Australian people — and indeed the world — came together for relief efforts. Thanks to millions in donations, volunteer support
Still on the topic of gratitude and positivity, BGI and EIT digital have collaborated to organise the Scaleup Portugal Gala, which is a celebration of the best startups from the Portuguese entrepreneurial and innovation ecosystem. In this gala event, we will be awarding the achievements of different startups in different categories. We are hoping that in this moment when things don’t seem to be working well, this is an opportunity to celebrate the positives in our ecosystem and encourage others who are following in the same path.
We are also grateful not to be organizing this event alone, as this event has the support of amazing partners such as Altice, ANI, IAPMEI, Informa D&B Portugal, Microsoft, and The Square. To know more about this Scaleup Portugal Gala and all the startups we will be celebrating, go to www.scaleupportugal.tech/gala
Before you go, we would like to drop one more quote for you to think about:
“Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.” – Melody Beattie